SheevaPlug Real time Statistics
Here are some real time statistics of my SheevaPlug. I decided to make this information public so that others could see a real world example of the SheevaPlug and what it can really handle. I use rrdtool to gather and plot the data. I have the following tasks that are always running on the Sheeva Plug:
- This website, computingplugs.com, runs entirely on the Sheeva Plug. I used Apache + MySQL + MediaWiki to host computingplugs.com. I have a WordPress plugin to MediaWiki that handles comments. I also use awstats to visualize the hosting stats.
- I run a master MythTV backend as described on this page. Mythfilldatabase and MythWeb also runs on the Sheeva Plug.
- MySQL that handles all database access for MediaWiki, Wordpress and MythTV.
- VNC server with 1 session always opened using IceWM as the window manager.
- Postfix mail server that handles local mail only.
- SSH tunnel that is always connected to my work.
- A gkrell session running on the SSH tunnel that I use to monitor the Sheeva Plug at work.
- NFS services for my local network. My MythTV slave backend uses this heavily to store recordings.
- A screen session with Myth alarm running.
Here are tasks that I sometimes run on the SheevaPlug:
- FreeNX Server is always running, but it doesn't use any resource unless a NX session is started. I do not have a constantly running session, but when I do, it runs with Gnome as the window manager.
- Compiling kernels or applications like MythTV.
- Pan for Usenet upload/download.
As you can see, I really do use the Sheeva Plug because I see the Sheeva Plug as a server replacement. The Sheeva Plug has been running non-stop for more than a month(6/2/09) now and it handles everything I do comfortably. However, you don't need to take my word for it, you are using the Sheeva Plug right now because computingplugs.com is hosted on it. So what do you think?
Real time statistics
I provide 6 different statistics that shows the general health of the SheevaPlug. All statistics are gather once a minute and the charts are redrawn every 10 minutes.
CPU usage in percent
The Sheeva Plug comes with 512MBytes of RAM, and I created a 1Gbytes swap space on the USB harddrive.
External USB harddisk usage
Here are the rrdtool scripts I used to create the real time stats.
Did you find this page useful?